Shawn Tuma helps businesses protect their information and protect themselves from their information. He represents a wide range of clients, from small to midsize companies to Fortune 100 companies, across the United States and globally in dealing with cybersecurity, data privacy, data breach and incident response, regulatory compliance, computer fraud related legal issues, and cyber-related litigation.
Having practiced in this area of law since 1999, Shawn is widely recognized in cybersecurity and data privacy law. He is frequently sought out and hired by other lawyers and law firms to advise them when these issues arise in cases for their own clients.
While this area of the law has evolved greatly in the nearly 20 years while Shawn has been practicing, he continues to evolve with it as a practitioner representing his clients, academically as an author and instructor, and as an analyst for the national media.
Shawn’s practice covers three distinct areas:
Cyber Risk Management – Proactively helping companies assess and understand their overall cyber risk and then developing, implementing, and maturing a strategic cyber risk management program that prioritizes their efforts to help minimize their cyber risk and meet regulatory compliance requirements.
Cyber Incident Response – Leading companies through the cyber incident response and data breach response process (e.g., as a “breach guide” or “breach quarterback”), crisis management, and regulatory compliance investigations and enforcement actions (e.g., by regulators such as various states’ Attorneys General, Department of Health and Human Services / Office of Civil Rights (HHS/OCR), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)).
Cyber Security, Hacking, and Data Breach Litigation – Representing clients in litigation involving cyber-related claims like computer and data misuse, computer hacking, data loss, data theft, and business to business disputes concerning responsibility for cyber incidents.
Shawn’s ideal role is to serve as a member of a company’s risk management team as outside cybersecurity counsel to help the company proactively prepare for and minimize its risks of doing business in today’s digital business world. Then, if a problem does arise, he is there to guide the company through resolving those issues as well.
Shawn serves the Bar and Profession in many capacities and has been selected for several professional honors:
• Practitioner Editor, Bloomberg Law’s Texas Privacy & Data Security Law
• Council Member, SMU Cybersecurity Advisory Council
• Board of Advisors, University of North Texas Cyber Forensics Lab
• Board of Directors & General Counsel, Cyber Future Foundation
• Policy Council, National Technology Security Coalition
• Officer, Computer and Technology Section, State Bar of Texas
• The National Law Journal selected as a Cybersecurity Trailblazer
• D Magazine Best Lawyers in Dallas (2014 – 2019)
• SuperLawyers Top 100 Lawyers in DFW
• SuperLawyers (2015 – 2019)
• Board Member, Collin County Bench Bar Conference
• Past Chair, Collin County Bar Association Civil Litigation & Appellate Section
• College of the State Bar of Texas
• Privacy and Data Security Committee of the State Bar of Texas
• Litigation, Intellectual Property, and Business Sections, State Bar of Texas
• North Texas Crime Commission, Cybercrime Committee
• Information Systems Security Association (ISSA)
• International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
• Southwest Association of Bank Counsel (SWABC)
• Editor, Cybersecurity Business Law Blog
• Contributor, SecureWorld
Shawn is an accomplished author with several published works on various legal-technology topics. He is a frequent speaker on business cyber risk issues such as cybersecurity, computer fraud, data privacy, and social media law. You can reach Shawn by telephone at 972.324.0317, or email him at email@example.com.
A list of Shawn’s recent presentations and publications is available here: https://shawnetuma.com/about-the-author/presentations-publications/